On April 15, 2016, Schenectady firefighters responded to a house fire on Elbert Street. Upon leaving Station 1, just over a mile away, Deputy Chief Don Mareno transmitted a second alarm after seeing a thick plume of smoke rising from the neighborhood. Upon arrival, flames were seen venting from a second floor window on the B side of the dwelling. Firefighters were able to make a quick knock down and prevented any extension. The cause was cooking materials left unattended.

– Fire News photos by Peter Barber