On February 25, 2024, a 59-year-old man died and a woman was taken to a hospital in critical condition after being found in their Earleville home with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Cecilton Volunteer Fire Department and Cecil County Department of Emergency Services paramedics responded to Florida Avenue in Crystal Beach at around 1245 after family members went to check on the couple. They found the male unresponsive in the living room and his girlfriend in a bedroom, shivering and disoriented. Cecil County Sheriff’s Office, the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner and the Office of the State Fire Marshal responded. The home had no electricity, a strong odor of kerosene inside, and soot-covered walls. A kerosene heater was the only source of heat, and its chimney was not seated properly, and the fuel inside had run dry.

– Photo courtesy Office Maryland State Fire Marshal