On July 31, 1987, at approximately 1100, an employee set down an acetylene torch to answer a telephone call, and the rest is history. The grain and feed storage facility owned by the Geo. S. Terry Co. located on Park Avenue at the railroad tracks in the Village of Brockport became fully involved. Tens of thousands of gallons of water were pumped into the structure to attempt to maintain control of the burn, and were used to protect the structures in the immediate area. Incident Commander was Brockport Deputy Fire Chief Laurence C. Vaughan, a career firefighter with the Ridge Road Fire District in Greece.

– Story and photos provided by Christopher R. Martin, BFD PIO; submitted by Christopher R. Martin