On May 7, 2016, the Linden Fire Department held a dedication ceremony to dedicate Fire House #1 to Elmer Glover, Linden’s first paid firefighter and an Assistant Chief of the Department. Glover started on the department on July 16, 1916, as a paid driver of their brand new 1916 American LaFrance engine. Elmer was later promoted to Assistant Chief and served on the department until his retirement in 1952. In attendance at the dedication were Linden Mayor Derek Armstead, Linden Fire Chief Joseph Dooley (top, left), Deputy Chief Kevin Brady and many retired and active members of the department. Chief Dooley spoke stating, “It is important to recognize the past members of the department in that they are the ones that helped shape the department into what it is today.”
The dedication is part of the yearlong celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Linden Fire Department. The culmination of this celebration will be taking place on July 16, 2016. All are invited to attend the parade and festivities.
– Fire News photos by Mathew Pribish