*2023 Holiday Wreath Program Wrap Up*
January 2nd, 2024 – The Green Bay Metro Fire Department has concluded the Holiday Wreath Program with a total of 7 residential fires from November 26th, 2023-January 1st, 2024. As we close out one year and enter another, many people around the world think of new goals and resolutions to better their lives. Adding fire safety to your New Year’s resolutions is something that everyone can do! Here are some fire safety tips to remember and practice throughout the year:
• Make sure you have working Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide detectors within the home.
• Plan and practice an escape plan with everyone in the home, including children and pets.
• Keep matches and lighters up high, out of reach of children. Use child safety locks on cabinets.
• Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn and turn them off when you leave the room or go to bed.
• Cooking appliances, most commonly a stove or range, are the leading cause of home fires in the United States. Not surprisingly, they also rank number 1 for fire related injuries in the home. Almost all cooking fires can be prevented by following these simple safety measures:
o Stay in the kitchen while cooking.
o Use a timer to help remind you that you are cooking.
o If you have a small (grease) cooking fire on the stovetop, smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan and turn off the burner. When in doubt, get out and call 9-1-1