Aurora, Illinois:

A 61-year-old male was treated for minor smoke inhalation and transported to a local hospital in good condition after a fire destroyed a home displacing all three occupants.

On May 12, 2023, at 9:23 a.m., Aurora Central Dispatch received multiple 911 calls stating an attached garage was on fire in the 500 block of North Park Avenue. A Box Alarm response was dispatched, then the alarm was upgraded by Battalion 2 when Medic 4 reported they could see a column of smoke in the distance. A total of 28 firefighters responded to the scene.

Upon arrival, Battalion 2 took command and reported a 1-story single-family home with heavy fire showing from the attached garage and two vehicles parked in the driveway. Battalion 2 received information that one occupant was unaccounted for and may still be in the home. Medic 3 was the next fire unit to arrive on the scene and was ordered to enter the structure through the rear and perform a primary search. Medic 3 found a 67-year-old female who safely exited the house in the backyard. Then they conducted a primary search with negative results. A 61-year-old male and 27-year-old female occupant were also able to evacuate.

The first arriving Engine company used their deck gun to knock down the garage fire and then advanced a hose line to the front door. The first arriving Truck company performed horizontal ventilation and searched for fire extension.

The second arriving Engine secured a positive water supply, then, along with the second arriving Truck company, deployed additional hose lines to continue attacking the garage fire.

Eight minutes after firefighters arrived on the scene, the garage roof collapsed. Command called for all companies to evacuate the building and report when they were out of the structure. All fire crews were able to evacuate without incident and then continued fighting the fire additional arriving units assisted with extinguishment and extensive overhaul of the garage and interior of the home. Firefighters remained on the scene for over an hour, extinguishing hot spots.

Victim Services was called to the scene to assist the residents. There were working smoke detectors, and the fire is under investigation.

Credit: Aurora FD