Aurora, Illinois

March 30, 2022


3rd Alarm Structure Fire and Medic Box

On March 30, 2022, at 12:23 a.m., the Aurora Fire Department was dispatched to 15 N. Broadway for a
structure fire. While en-route, Aurora Central Dispatch advised that people were trapped in the rear of the
building. The response was upgraded to a 2nd alarm. Upon arrival, fire crews found a 3-story taxpayer (business
on the 1st floor and apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floors) with heavy smoke showing from the 3rd-floor windows.
All residents were able to escape; however, one resident was required to be rescued off of a roof.

The Engine Companies deployed hose lines to attack the fire while the Truck Companies began searching for
victims. The first arriving Battalion Chief requested a 3rd alarm and Medic Box bringing a total of 54
firefighters to the scene. Additional fire crews went to the rear of the building and rescued a 50-year-old female
victim from the roof of an adjacent building to the fire building using a ground ladder and stokes basket. The
victim jumped from a 3rd-floor window falling approximately 20 feet, sustaining significant injuries.

Paramedics treated and transported a total of seven patients to area hospitals. In addition to the 50-year-old
female, a 58-year-old male was in serious condition suffering from severe smoke inhalation. Also, a 43-year-old
male, a 43-year-old female, a 36-year-old male, a 20-year-old female, and a 9-year-old female all suffered
minor smoke inhalation and injuries and were subsequently discharged from the hospital. The 50-year-old
female and 58-year-old male critical patients were later transferred to an area Level 1 Trauma Center.

Red Cross and Victim Services were called to the scene to assist the displaced victims as the apartments were
deemed uninhabitable. The fire was brought under control within 30 minutes; however, fire crews remained on
the scene for several hours, checking for fire extension and extinguishing hot spots and hidden fire. One 50-
year-old male firefighter also sustained a minor injury that did not require transport to the hospital, and a 65-
year-old male signed a release and was not transported after paramedics assessed him. The fire is under
investigation at this time.