The Lancaster Township Fire Department was dispatched at 1816 on April 7, 2024, for a stove fire on Passey Lane, Building C, in the Creekside South Apartments, which contained eight apartment units. Arriving firefighters encountered heavy fire venting from a second-floor kitchen window and living room patio doors. Firefighters were required to extinguish flames that had extended down the entry staircase as they fought their way up the stairs to the burning apartment, which was engulfed in flames. The bulk of the fire was knocked down by 1830, but extensive overhaul was required to extinguish the hotspots and remove burning debris and insulation from the attic space above. The fire was stopped from spreading to the other apartments by the firewalls, but some apartments received water damage, others smoke damage; one apartment was a total loss. All residents safely evacuated the building. Unattended cooking was determined as the cause of the blaze. The Central Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Red Cross Red Cross was summoned to assist the estimated eight adults and 11 children displaced by the blaze. Assisting Lancaster Township volunteers were Manheim Twp. Fire/Rescue, Lafayette, New Danville, Lancaster City, Blue Rock Fire/Rescue, WillowStreet, Mountville and Rohrerstown Fire Company.

– Submitted by Lancaster Twp. Capt. Greg Leaman