WORKING COMMERCIAL STRUCTURE FIRE IN DOWNTOWN SUFFOLK (VA), ONE PERSON INJURED
SUFFOLK, Virginia (July 29, 2022): Suffolk Fire & Rescue responded to the 800 Block of N.
Main Street, in Downtown Suffolk, for a commercial strip shop that was on fire. Emergency
Communications dispatched the incident at 10:10 a.m.
Battalion 1, Engine 1, Engine 2, Rescue 1, arrived at 10:15 a.m. to find black smoke coming
from the roof of the building. Investigation found a fire in a commercial dryer with fire
progressing through the vent to the roof with heavy black smoke in the interior of the business.
Crews attacked the fire from the interior and roof. One patron was treated for smoke inhalation
and was transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Due to the extension
to the roof, crews removed vents and roofing materials from above the fire to ventilate the fire
and stop the extension. Suffolk Police provided traffic control.
The business is Wash House Launerette. The property manager for the business is on the
scene and no exposure businesses were effected.
Responding units included Car 1, Battalion 1, Battalion 4, Engine 1, Engine 2, Engine 4, Engine
6, Engine 9, Ladder 3, Ladder 6, Rescue 1, Medic 1, Medic 6, EMS1, EMS 2, Safety 1, Rehab
6, Fire Marshal 1.
The fire is under investigation by Suffolk Fire Investigators.
Credit: Suffolk Fire Rescue (VA)